Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Six Gifts We Gave Our Children

We've kinda gotten to the point where we laugh at New Year's Resolutions because we all know how many times at the beginning of a new year we've made wonderful resolutions about what we're going to accomplish that year only to arrive at New Year's Eve and and realize most of them didn't happen. So let's be realistic. If you make a resolution, also write out the steps you're going to take to accomplish that goal. Pray over your goals for the new year and invite the Holy Spirit to lead you. A new year is an exciting time for me. It's like being handed a clean slate, an opportunity to leave mistakes you've made in the past and start again. And it's a great time to reevaluate.  
Something that my husband and I have been noticing is the lack of creativity we've been seeing in our children and how often we hear the words "I'm bored. There is nothing for me to do." And yet when we look around our house and their bedrooms, there seems to be an endless supply of toys and stuff! The first thing we did was not buy them any new form of electronics for Christmas even tho they all had some form of it on their wish list. Even Lexi, who is 3, wanted a "pink iPad"! They were a little disappointed but they're ok! It's not like they don't already have enough gaming systems. :)
We came up with a list of 6 things that money can't buy. True gifts. I'm sure there are more we could've used but this is what we came up with it. Some of them are things we already do but we wanted to bring them to the kid's attention. I wrote each one on a piece of paper and placed them inside some adorable little ornament boxes I found on clearance at the dollar store. Last Sunday evening we hung the little boxes on the Christmas tree (yes, we still haven't taken our tree down. I like it and can't bring myself to take it down just yet!). We called the kids into the living room and told them that yes, Christmas was over but we had 6 more gifts for them! They took turns picking one off the tree and reading it. It definitely got their attention and it was a special time as we explained each one of the gifts to them. 

Here is the list of gifts we came up with:

1. The Gift of Love (our unconditional love and acceptance)

2. The Gift of Time (Monthly Dates/Quality Time with Daddy & Mommy) 

3. The Gift of Fun (weekly family game or movie night) 

4. The Gift of Reading (every month read a book and give an oral and written book report)

5. The Gift of Agreement (we will pray and agree with them concerning anything)

6. The Gift of Wisdom (Daily family devotions)




It's only been three days but we can already see small changes in the kids. Especially in the way they're playing together more and they thoroughly enjoy it when we spend time together as a family whether it's game time or family devotions. I look forward to what we'll see in the next weeks, months, and year. Bring on 2014!!!
I'd enjoy hearing any comments or ideas that ya'll have about this!

~ Rachel :)

9 comments:

  1. Fun idea...and I'm glad someone can enjoy a Christmas Tree this long. I take mine down on December 26, if I can't get it down the evening on the 25th. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! You take it down on Christmas Day if you can?! That's funny! Everybody's different and that's ok! :)

      Delete
  2. We try to limit our son's screen time because when he does have it, it makes him more grumpy, and discontented. We are striving for him to be creative and be able to entertain himself. What great gifts you guys wrote down! Love it!

    -Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea!! I am trying to do something similar but haven't gotten all my ideas organized enough so Love this!! and BTW my tree is still up too! If I take it down, then it's not Christmas anymore…just boring winter!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about it just being winter without the Christmas decorations!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are some great ideas! We do not limit screen time as much here, but I found one gift that I give them, is reading aloud to them and spending time with them. Also, teaching them how to play with children that are younger than themselves and having fun doing so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Learning to play with children different ages than yourself really is a gift! I like that.

      Delete